Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Mother Knows Best, Birthday Edition

Tomorrow, my dearest Georgiana, you will have been born 28 years, and yesterday* you have been married 11.  The first of these events was attended with almost every advantageous circumstance that birth could give. and the latter set you up in so elevated a situation that you must always be liable to the censures or approbation of the world.  I bless God it is not yet too late, if you will exert yourself in earnest, of those who know you, and I must add that if you have any regard for your own peace of mind or mine, you will set about doing it immediately.

Lady Spencer
6 June 1785


*In Amanda Foreman's biography of Georgiana she states that the Duchess was married on her birthday, June 7. I am now very curious as to where this confusion came about and how it came about!

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! When does the party begin?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lady Spencer was generally critical of Georgina's behavior and encouraging her to be a better person. I guess that included Birthday greetings as well

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! Well I suppose if you're sending the card anyway, you may as well slip in some advice with that birthday check...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, between her mother, her husband or her friend, I can't decide who I dislike more. Poor Georgiana. I hope she is having a great birthday, wherever she is.

    ReplyDelete